Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]My worst fear as a parent would be my kid committing to a selective school as a 9th grader, and then the way it turns out he has a 3.6-3.7 and only above average scores.

your worst fear as a parent is that your kid doesn't get admitted to a "selective" school? Charmed life

To be pretty clear, my son is not a lacrosse verbal to a college. To also be clear, he's a top student who will apply to several selective schools in hopes of being admitted knowing it is competitive. And to be crystal clear, our world goes on regardless of where he does or doesn't get in. That's why kids apply to a range of colleges and not one. And yes, I have thought about it some that IF he were a lacrosse verbal to a college the worst of all worlds is he has a mindset of being headed somewhere and then that doesn't happen because he's not admitted. We saw this happen to a kid of a family we know well and it was just devastating for the kid. He had good but not great grades, and certainly not Ivy grades, so there will be plenty of people saying you get what is coming. But the point is he verbally committed and the coach never said anything but no worries kid. If my son got involved in the Ivy promises game from a coach, I don't think that would be real healthy. I think a charmed life is these kids being able to pick a college when they are ready and after they applied to several.