Some private schools have rules and some do not. The IAC stipulates that a kid can be 19 in the fall 12th grader, and a kid can't play more than 4 years in any HS league. I don't know if the extremes of this repeating grades means some kids can't play as seniors. My son's club had two kids who turned 16 in September of 9th grade, so have to assume that is ok to turn 19 Sept as a senior. I think the main reason why this is happening so much is it is being urged by the club and prep lacrosse people, which is a great way to hook in tuition paying families for 8th grade repeated through 12th. The part of the IAC rule that clinches this is the 4 year cap on high school sports participation. You can't repeat 10th or 11th as a transfer, have to do the "redshirt" year in 8th. This is an absolutely brilliant way for Bullis and Landon to rope in 5 year full payers. I keep hearing about gifted lacrosse players all being scholarshiped, but that makes no sense considering how small student body classes are. I don't believe that either school could stay solvent just waiving tuition for 10 kids in a class of 90-100 for lacrosse. I may be wrong, and that may be the case if the prep schools are as nutty as the parents. Anything is possible. The reshirting and private school trend in lacrosse is a fascinating study in tulip-mania. There's very little scholarship money in this sport, and even the admissions sponsorships from coaches are shaky of the kid doesn't have a strong grades and scores academic record. The UPenn and Princeton coaches have loved to brag about how he can get a 3.0 kid in when he really wants him, but both had three commits fail admissions last year. As a parent I'd be pretty bummed if my kid committed to Princeton and wound up at Loyola or Delaware. That trend has been happening quietly for a few years now.