Agreed there is no structured league or series. However there is an underlying assumption there is Club continuity. This board is filled with posts ranking one club over another and team performance at various tournaments. And when players decide which Clubs they want to play for, it is usually based on team track record, which is assumed comes from the coaching and not guest players.
Tournaments are independently run and that is partly where a player gets their growth and experience – playing against teams from MD, PA, VA. Big learning opportunity. Players also get varied perspectives and training playing for their town/school coaches and Club coaches – that’s were multidimensional training comes in.
When a club brings in Studs for guest appearances it is doubtful it is for the benefit of the player and more likely the benefit of the Club name. Why else bring in a guest player? Because they are short players? Nobody buys that line anymore. I would be curious a Club Directors perspective, particularly those who recruit, train and mentor those players. A player that plays on two teams in one tournament is potentially playing 6-10 games in one day. Say that player gets hurt in his guest appearance game and can’t play in any of the games for his regular Club. Or maybe the player just gets tired, and his performance drops off for his other Club games. I would think a Club coach would have an issue with that.
It doesn’t seem healthy for any youth player and will make them far more prone to injury at some point. I would think this would be a concern for the overall health of the sport as well as coaches. Also curious the perspective of the Tournament Directors that do have rules banning players from playing on more than one team in one tournament. Why would they have that rule in place?