Originally Posted by Anonymous
You guys don't have older kids so you lack perspective. All of these proposed changes have been used and tried before. Like it or not, grade based teams are here because coaches want to compare kids of the same grade - even youth teams.

You can keep moaning about it, but it is a waste of time.

This is spot on - unfortunately, regardless of age, coaches want to see which kids are coming up in specific grades - especially in HS. With the recruiting process starting so much earlier nowadays (8th grade, sometimes even earlier), grade based teams are essential because when coaches look at the team, they want to know they are recruiting 2020, 2019, etc. class boys - doesn't do them any good if the team has 2 or 3 grades mixed together. Unfortunately, that is exactly what fuels the reclasses, but there is nothing that can be done about that unless the schools themselves make rules to disallow that.

You got that right...Coaches want to see my third grader not the true third grade age kids...I am going to throw a tantrum if my prefirst isnt allowed to play down in third grade. It isnt fair to him or his recruiters....Dave Pietramala told me my third grader had some potential and he was glad he knew he was in third grade, Petro said he could care less about my son being a fourth garde age kid...Petro says its ok ...I say its ok...and all cheaters say it is ok...

Its cheating at the youth level..High School has always been grade..no one is arguing that...Youth sports was meant to be age base due to ethics, fairplay, morals, etc...But adults like you have helped take lacrosse down a less than ethical path...

You're completely insane, and have totally missed my point, so let me try and put it into terminology that a simple mind can understand, hopefully. I said that I don't agree with the reclasses, but it is unfortunately something that is unavoidable unless the schools stop accepting them. Saying "adults like you have helped take lacrosse down a less than ethical path" is simply ignorant and incorrect - I don't believe in playing down, or holdbacks for sports reasons, and would never do so for my son. In fact, my son is a young 13 year old 8th grader, and is currently playing up and actually starting every game on his HS JV team in their fall league (and they are undefeated), so don't make foolish uninformed statements. With that said, unfortunately I don't make the rules, and neither do you. "Youth sports was meant to be age base due to ethics, fairplay, morals, etc" is simply your opinion - "meant to be" is an asinine thing to say - according to who? The fact is, there are U based teams which are age based, and there are grade based teams which are grade (and not age) based. If you don't like it, or your son can't handle it, don't play. My son has chosen to play grade based and play up, and has excelled, and is right there talent wise with a bunch of much older kids and is getting better at lacrosse because of it. Everyone needs to make their own choices.

No I get the point as many others do. You can sum up your long novel in two sentences.
My son is superman the JV starter and plays up so what is the big deal. YOUTH sports is about winning at any cost....... Once again people like you are the reason that youth lacrosse has no moral balance now. You cant even comprehend that simple concept..