Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quoted from above:

Two of the weakest, most tired arguments on this forum. To think crabs has the market cornered on hold backs is absurd. The double hold back is largely of myth. You can't be 19 before your senior yr and play in the MIAA. Anyone aware of players who had to sit out their senior year? Much of this discussion has been centered around 2020. If your kid is on AA or even A club team they must have some ambition to play high level high school. As an AA 8th grader they should be capable of playing against older kids. Plus if it was still age based it would u15 and all your prefirst and reclassers would still be eligible.

My question to you would be, if kids are AA and should be capable of playing older kids, why the heck are you promoting holding kids back to play younger kids?!?! Let everyone play older kids including the kids that reclass. They want to repeat a grade- no problem- but play on age or up and play older, not younger.

My comments are not to promote or defend hold backs. My boys are public school so no hold back option. I believe single year age groups like soccer would best until 8th grade, then just U15. But I think grade based is better for youth than 2 year age based since the vast majority of those kids are summer birthdays. There are some legitimate reasons for kids to enter school late. Should those kids not be allowed to play lacrosse in 8th grade?

My kid also plays ice hockey and I like the model- so to answer your question- yes- the holdbacks, late starters etc should not be playing 8th grade lax. You can still go single year, but base it on the year kids are born- period. It's nice and easy in other sports. I'm not sure why lacrosse is all over the map. If you ask me, it takes away the legitimacy of the sport to have such "fluffy" rules in regards to rosters.

I also like the hockey model, but you really only see the teams stick to the one year model in tier 1. Double "A" teams and down are every other year ( bantam would be 2002 and 2001) etc.

I personally like the soccer model of every year from September 1 - August 31 the following year. This would keep kids grouped together with their school piers and keep it close to the graduation year model.

I like the 9/1 cutoff, but think it should be flexible for those kids that really were not ready for kindergarten with a birthdate just before 9/1. I let the kids in that were legitimately in the grade (not just playing down) and had a birthday in July or August as well. - this is what they did in Denver - right?