Originally Posted by Anonymous
But it is okay to berate young boys for losing a game? Not saying maybe the coach didn't get a bad deal but it should never be ok to verbally assault a minor because they didn't win! Step back for just a minute. It was just a game.

They did not get yelled at because they lost. They got yelled at for how they acted on the bus after losing.

So I ask you? In what other facet of these young men's lives, is it acceptable for an Adult in a position of authority to behave this way towards them? Other than a coach, who would you allow to talk this way to your son? The brothers at his school? The teachers? His boss at a part time job? A stranger? Come on man, it's a GAME... A meaningless game that many kids are trying to play for FUN. It's not D1 football or the NFL. Good lord, put it in perspective. Obviously, the Administration at the school has their collective heads on straight. Is the Coach of the Math team, Debate team, or any other team that might actually get these kids somewhere in life allowed to speak that way? No. Would you allow your wife's Boss to speak to her that way? No. Yet for some reason, you mental patients think it's "OK" for the Football Coach to speak that way to your kid. Again, about a GAME...

What world do you live in? In the business world people use expletives all the time. Is it a terminable offense? Obviously not. And if what Pomps did rose to that level, the administration "with its head on "straight"" would have had to remove his teaching responsibilities as well, which they didn't. So now, we are talking about the use of a few curse words to a group of 15 and 16 y/o kids (NOT LITTLE BOYS) whose behavior was not what you would expect after you lost a hard fought game. Maybe they don't deserve to play for Chaminade--but because poor Jimmy's feelings were hurt and Jimmy's parents complained, we're in this situation. It's a disgrace.

The real world numb skull. Maybe you can talk that way to people on the docks?? I assure you, in "my world" that type of behavior form a person in an position of authority is unacceptable. Quite frankly, in 30 years of business I've never been spoken to that way. Further, I've never had to speak that way to my employees that way either. It's called decency, something that a coach at a Catholic School should possess. Guy got caught, behaving in an unacceptable manner, let him take his medicine like a man. The very lesson you seek to teach these "NOT LITTLE KIDS". Dope.

Ahh the person who associates the business world with the sports world= no clue about sports. I'm sorry to say but you're the problem with sports in this day and age. Coaching young men sometimes takes tough love. You can't always coddle them and hold their hand. Let someone coach your kids and be tough on them so that they can face real world problems. You cant aleays be there to protect them. I have played professional sports and have worked in big corporate America and vulgar language is constantly used I don't know what company or where you work maybe they don't do it in front of you because you're so sensitive to it but the fact of the matter is in big business America there is vulgar language used. The pusification/demasculization is rediculous. I think a lot of this crap comes from parents who never played a sport. The fields of play were one place where trash talk could occur, coaches yelled expletives to get you going. These are 15 to 16 year old boys who not in the presence of their parents have the mouths of sailors. Let coaches coach and stop being helicopter parents.

Yeah, get in there and bust their f%$*ing head open kid.. Down, set...
You my friend have taken one too many hits to the head. Your bias as it relates to your experience as a coach is evident. As for me, I played all kinds of sports, was raised by a WWII Marine, and was a Bouncer all through College. I'm extremely familiar with toughness and a masculine environment. As for the tough love, we'll keep that in the home. No need for some bone head wanna be/never was to dish that out. You just stick to the X's and O's, Coach.