Originally Posted by Anonymous
Interesting that there are so few comments on the recruiting topic. I guess that means that most of the parents on here really want their kids to commit and commit early. Keep living through your kids.

Why does early commitment automatically equal living through your kids? Don't get me wrong, there is tons of that going on, but I'm not sure that is always the case.

It doesn't but you always have a few jealous losers who can't be happy for anyone who does better than their kid. Have spoken to many an early commit kid when they are in 11-12th grade and rarely if ever do they feel they made the wrong choice , if they did they would just decommit and go elsewhere .Guarantee that most if not all of these "I know what's better for your kid than you do " parents on here feel their kid was over looked so are bitter. Yes my kid was a relatively early commit and could not be happier for her as she enjoyed every second of the recruiting process.

Congrats to you and your daughter. Completely agree with your post. The poison is not the parents of the early commits, its not the parents on the sideline, it comes from jealous parents who spew it on the internet. Not every early commit is a black hole, stat padding monster molded by their over the top parents who won't give you the time of day on the sidelines. There are lots of extremely talented, unselfish, team player girls with great parents out there too. If you people out there are stuck on a team with a black hole, that stinks, but don't apply your misery and situation to everyone else. Good luck.

Have seen both situations. Some where early commitment is all the parents can talk about and if you didn't know any better you would think it's the parents going to college. One even said to me, "When we go to school in a couple years" ... i had to remind him that he wasn't going to school, his daughter was. But have also seen very thoughtful and caring parents try to help their daughters navigate this big decision, and see it work out well for them. Parents and their daughters should get as much information as possible, and make the best decision they can together. For some that may mean committing very early, for others it might mean taking more time. There is no right answer. But there certainly are parents that are tools!

Don't knock early committments, my older daughter would have been very happy to get an early committment but it wasn't in the cards. She watched as all of her friends did committ early and wondered when her turn would come. ( very anxious times for a young lady to have all of her friends have a committment and her not have one) As it turns out she was a late bloomer and eventually found her way to a top program that offered her course of study. It all works out but if my next one is in a position to committ early I wouldn't be against it.