Originally Posted by Anonymous
How many teams are practicing already? I don't mean had one practice, but are going weekly?

From what I've heard Legacy (2x a week), Outlaws (1X a week), Empire (1x a week) and Warriors (2X a week) are practicing. I'm sure Bandits and Badgers are, just don't know how often.

wow. 2x week in the fall at 5th grade? long term payoff potential is not equal to the potential burnout factor. Good for winning 5th grade tournaments though.

When is it OK to practice 2x a week in the fall? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious on your thoughts. They're not babies anymore. These boys have been, for the most part, playing lax for 4-5 years now. Some have been playing travel for 2-3. I see Baseball, Wrestling, Hockey and Soccer practicing a few times a week (year round now). I'm OK with doing it with lax. The way I see it, if your kid wants to do it, let him. If he's fighting you to go to practice, you're not long for the team anyway. My only concern is that it really interferes with the boy's football schedules. That should come first in the fall since it's not played in any other season on LI.

It's perfectly fine to practice 2-3 days per week if there is no other sport involved. There is no burnout when you mix up the training during the week. Ex. shooting/feeding day 1, dodging day 2, IQ:offense/defense/fast breaks/clearing day 3

Lots of research against early specialization. That's fine for an in season schedule. But to have elementary school kids do that year round is essentially precluding them from other sports. Yes it's happening in other sports like soccer but it's not good for those kids either. I have 2 in high school and two younger ones. The club stuff and intense commitment is coming earlier and earlier. Very few kids benefit from that in the long run but it's a great way to create super teams in youth lax. I see some kids in high school viewing the game almost like a job rather than a passion. And those kids didn't start the club circuit until 5th/6th. I just think it's too much too soon. Maybe I'm the minority.