This post is correct but there is more to it than this. The situation is two sided. In a perfect world, a group of kids would start off together and play as a team through HS. The problem is that the kids who begin to excel are now too good for that team and are lured away. These decisions to leave are generally made by adults, not the kids. If you asked a kid about who he would rather play with, his friends or a bunch he doesn't know, he will take his friends every time. (Of course the new teammates will become his friends in a short period of time). This is where the program directors and coaches are in a difficult spot. If you don't improve your team each year by upgrading those bottom 3-5 kids, you may lose the top 3-5 because your team isn't "good enough".
This is the environment adults have created, like it or not. Unfortunately, the days of kids and programs being able to show loyalty to each other appears to be over. It is now a matter of keeping up in order to survive for the program and parents looking for greener pastures if things are not exactly what they are looking for. It is now strictly business for both sides.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Well said!! Tony Alexander runs a great program. Cares about All his teams. Very genuine, caring, professional guy. Who cares who wins at these young ages. Let the kids learn the game and improve each year. When they go to prospect college days in 10th grade nowhere does it say how many games did your travel team in 6 7th grade win? lol Enjoy watching your son play time goes by very fast.

Okay I dont know this guy from a hole in the head. That being said, here is my honest advice in travel, screw the coach and the team, have your kid get what they can. I know it makes me sound like a douchbag and a POS. But every year coaches talk about "Band of Brothers" " we are a family" "put the team first" Lets be honest, 4 or 5 of those kids he is speaking to will be cut loose at the end of the season , no family, no loyalty period. Its just the truth. Better a child understands the truth, if your dont make us better, or somebody else can make us better, we will throw you away like a used dishcloth. And that is okay , we live in a tough world. But what your kid should learn, be it he be the one cut or its his teammate who he played elevator tag with is that if you dont perform they get rid of you, the "loyalty family" thing is just a way for the coach to get you to play the way he wants instead of playing selfishly. First and foremost, do everything you can to get yourself better on the field PERIOD, look our for yourself.