Originally Posted by Anonymous
(2020 dad here) I have an honest question and would like whomever originally posted this' opinion - as well as others. My son plays 2020 in a "lax town" he doesn't make 2020 A teams but when he plays 2021 A teams playing up he almost always DOMINATES his man. He is born in November so am I "cheating" if I played him on a 2021 A team where I would know at least a half dozen or so kids on the team would be chronologically older than him despite the fact that they may be a year behind him in school? I have wrestled with this topic for years. Who benefits and who is the victim if I did this?
Igloo has cleaned up their act parting ways with the '20 kids on their team--who by the way had trouble making '20 "A" teams until Daddy called and whined/pleaded with the organization to take his son after he had not made the team. Enjoy the sideline...

I would bet that if we look at rosters of the top 5 2021 teams and 2020 teams you would be surprised how many 2020 could play or do play based on there age on 2021 team. So at the end of the day the age is what matters not the grade. I know a couple of 8th graders who are younger then some of the 7th graders . I don't have a problem with a boy playing down if he fits the age, cause what grade you are in these days means nothing , as we have come to find out.

(2020 dad here) I have an honest question and would like whomever originally posted this' opinion - as well as others. My son plays 2020 in a "lax town" he doesn't make 2020 A teams but when he plays 2021 A teams playing up he almost always DOMINATES his man. He is born in November so am I "cheating" if I played him on a 2021 A team where I would know at least a half dozen or so kids on the team would be chronologically older than him despite the fact that they may be a year behind him in school? I have wrestled with this topic for years. Who benefits and who is the victim if I did this?
Igloo has cleaned up their act parting ways with the '20 kids on their team--who by the way had trouble making '20 "A" teams until Daddy called and whined/pleaded with the organization to take his son after he had not made the team. Enjoy the sideline...

I would bet that if we look at rosters of the top 5 2021 teams and 2020 teams you would be surprised how many 2020 could play or do play based on there age on 2021 team. So at the end of the day the age is what matters not the grade. I know a couple of 8th graders who are younger then some of the 7th graders . I don't have a problem with a boy playing down if he fits the age, cause what grade you are in these days means nothing , as we have come to find out.

That is 100% incorrect - please don't follow this advice. As one other poster said (and hundreds of other posts have as well), rules are rules. If the teams are graduation year based, then you cannot play down a grade if you are in the grade above - it has NOTHING to do with age WHATSOEVER, it's 100% grad year. That is why everyone complains that little Johnny who had been held back 3 times is crushing their son who is 3 years younger but in the same grade. If it is an age based team (U13, U15 etc.) then it is 100% age, NO MATTER WHAT GRADE YOUR SON IS IN. If he's 15 in 7th grade, he can't play U13 - not legally anyway.