Yup. I have dealt with this with my son for years. Getting overlooked because he is immature and young (and a little less coordinated). He made his middle school team but doesn't see the time others do. He is in 8th grade, and still 12, there are at least a half dozen A players in the 2021 year (a year below) that are older than him. He has football starting in a couple of weeks and there are kids 14 that he is trying to compete with. The sad fact is all too many programs(both town and club) wash kids out by 9th grade and they are done. Then by junior / senior year the team has a handful of 5foot 9 kids playing who were anointed in 7th grade and a half dozen 6 ' 1" -6' 2" kids doing nothing in the spring. My kid's "problem" was that academically he was ready to go to kindergarten so we put him in school rather than have him "pg" an extra year when he was 4! (If only I had been aligned with one of the top travel programs who could have given me this recruiting advice back then)
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Craziness. My 7th grader turned 12 two weeks ago. His friend, also a 7th grader, turns 13 tomorrow. My son is barely 5 feet. His friend is 5'8". That's the difference between pre-pubescent and post pubescent. In this age range size dominates athleticism and good stick skills. Yes, it will equalize as the boys head into 9th grade but for this period of time it is a killer for those on the young side and puts them at distinct disadvantage. And the fact is that it's much harder to lose a spot on a good team than it is to win that spot.