Originally Posted by Anonymous
What's the point, I just don't get it. If a large nba or major league contract was waiting for you at the end, pg, holdback do whatever you have to do. Millions of dollers to play a sport. I'd holdback my son. I could careless what anyone says, especially on this site. However what's at the end of this rainbow, maybe 8, 10 grand off tuition. Coaching a club team or giving private lessons for a few grand a year. Playing in MLL for 1000 a game. I just don't see why people holdback academically sound kids, to be a year older in lacrosse. I just don't get it. If my parents told me in 7 th grade, we are holding you back, so you can be better in lacrosse, all my friends move up a grade, except me. I would have been devastated.

It is not about $$$ per se. It is about taking a kid who might otherwise go to some mid level, very ordinary school and using lax to get him into Cornell, Duke or some other school that wouldn't even look at them without a sports hook. That is the ever more elusive dream that people are chasing...I think most people are not in it expecting to get a free ride. They want their kid in a better school.

And then the kid is not able to handle the academics of a cornell or duke and bounces around from one school to the next (flunking out each time, but getting to play a year of lax for a coach who wants to win at any cost)and after his four years of eligibility are up he has nothing to show for it but some great lax memories and a degree in hard knocks

Unfortunately pre-first/holding back/PG works for many children, not all .And now that the youth leagues and club teams permit all these kids to play down... Playing down will continue and get worst in my opinion at youth level. USL is a joke and does nothing about it except moan every once in a while.

I totally agree, however, you do know where USL offices are right? You also know which D1 team is one of the biggest beneficiaries of holdbacks and double holdbacks right? Do we really need to discuss this disgrace any further? Please. Never going to change until this sport gets a real governing body that isn't in bed with the top D1 programs. I really wonder what the general public, non-lacrosse type people would think about this whole mess? A sport where kids are forced to play a sport with heavy contact against kids 2 years older than them. Amazing.