Originally Posted by Anonymous
Tough call. Try out for any team he has an interest in if it fits your schedule and budget. Many 2021 rosters are already locked up so the more the better.

I think that is the most important piece of information new families or fairly new, need to know. Years ago, we were very naive to think that a try out was open. If there are 6 spots for attack , shouldn't they go to the best ? In actuality, they may be looking at 1 attack, or maybe none.

I'd call ahead and ask to speak with coach or director. If you are told every spot is open, I'd think twice if this is an established team. You can spend a lot of time and money chasing a spot on an A team that was not available at all .
That said, I do think that there is a lot of pros in keeping an established team together and it does lead to success as chemistry in playing together is important and coach already knows his players strengths and weaknesses.

In certain organizations, B teams aren't a bad choice. Kids DO get pulled up to A and do have a shot, even if you have been told otherwise. I've seen this happen in Express, 91 and some smaller clubs too.

Try out season is not always easy- lots of emotions and uncertainty when trying to find a team that fits right. Good luck!