Originally Posted by Anonymous
I applaude the candor, wisdom and perspective of the last few posters. doesn't seem like the complaint dept. More like the sage advice dept. My son just got dropped by his 2019 A team...he is broken hearted, needed to cheer him up and reminded him that this is a journey, all sports are a journey, you take it together. I reminded him of how much he has improved through the last few years with that club, the friendships he has made, the memories...not wasted time, good times, yes, as you said, even in traffic on the jersey turnpike and cheap motels in Maryland, we did it together and are closer for it, hope he does the same for his kid...he'll pick himself up today and head out another teams tryout and we will start the process again with new kids, families and coaches...wouldn't want it any other way...

Happened to my son two years ago when he was going into 7th grade. Kid was one of the leading scorers on the team. He couldn't understand it, was devastated. I told him, literally F$3@ them, now they can't have you on their team. We'll find a new team. It wasn't easy, it was towards the end of tryout season. He was accepted to a couple of B teams at the last minute. He tried a few practices and he felt the kids weren't on his level. We reached out to another club in early December. All the while continuing to train. He went to an indoor practice with this team. He had what he thought was an OK practice. Turns out the coaches loved him. He became one of the center pieces of the new teams offense. Fast forward to the spring. He gets an opportunity to play his old team. He blows their doors off with 3 goals and 2 assts in the first half. To the point where they're face guarding him in a ole OBLL game at field of dreams.
Fast forward to the summer, they meet again. They face guard and double him all game. He still manages to get the ball with 20 seconds left. Finds his teammate on the doorstep and they win again.
The season is now over, we're on Vacation. The Director of the old team is calling me begging to have him back, we made a mistake, on and on. So I string him along, I even pay for the tryout. Guy is calling day before, can't wait to have him back, blah, blah, blah. I say we'll see you tomorrow.
Let's just say, I hope they're still not waiting for him to show at the tryout.... Can't tell you how good that made me and my son feel. We laughed ourselves silly over it.
Today he's still doing great. He has a number of D1 schools very interested.
Point of this whole story: Just keep playing and don't let some dopey club tell you whether or not your son is good enough to play at a top level. Listen to yourself and your son! Things can and will workout for the best.