Travel lacrosse is not for everyone> Not every kid is going to get a scholarship. Not every kid is going to play D1. That is all true. But not every kid who takes piano lessons will play at Carnegie Hall. Not every girl taking dance lessons will Dance with the Rockettes.
Sometimes the kids just like playing lacrosse. Sometimes they like to play lacrosse in the spring as well as in the summer and winter. Why shouldn't they be able to? If there is a program that is willing to field a team, even for a profit, and it provides the child an opportunity to play whats the harm?
I am not a director but am a coach in both youth and High School. I have both A level players and B and C level. Why cant the "C" kid play in the summer? He doesn't need to win a national championship on TV to enjoy the game. His time isn't wasted if he doesn't develop into the next superstar. He is playing a game that he enjoys. There should be a place for him to play.
I didn't play pro. I did play DIII for a short period of time. I loved and still love the game. I still play in an over 40 league. These kids will hopefully have the opportunity to do the same.
Don't look at travel as a method to get something down the road. Look at it as a past time and a game to play. Have a realistic perspective and it is more fun. Stop asking if we are there yet and enjoy the ride and the scenery!

If a third team is coached and plays in level appropriate tournaments how is that a money grab? If the kids get to play and learn isn't that what it is there for? The slower kid with less than deadly stick skills should be able to play if he wants to. His parents should have the opportunity to watch him play. He should be able to go to a tournament in Hershey and hit the roller coasters with his friends afterward. You shouldn't need to commit to Hopkins in 8th grade to have fun in this game