Originally Posted by Anonymous
can't have a grade based model with a 5/1 or 6/1 limit, those kids would be in a grade above the others.

Depends on where they started school. For example, there are quite a few kids born in the summer of 2001 that are going into 8th grade (for the first time) and have never held back. Same for other grad years - the 5/1 or 6/1 cut off date would allow these kids but would filter out the hold backs. It level sets the grade based model without letting clubs manipulate the system because there is an age based requirement too. USLax proposal of going age based by one year increments is not going to garner much support as the grade based train has left the station but many grade based supporters would get on board if they suggest the grade with an age element.

I agree- I'd leave it 6/1 as three months is plenty of time for late starters but would keep the philosophy of grade based with the exception of NY. You'd absolutely have a mixed team as they have a 12/1 cut off- so you could feasibly have a 50/50 split of two grades. People would have to be okay with that as the age limit is what is static. In the end, I wish there would be a system like hockey- they don't care about your grade, just your age and many kids don't play with their friends from school, but isn't that what travel is all about? It's too ambitious of a model right now for lacrosse anyway. We probably won't even garner enough support for any cut off with the way things are right now. Seems like a 16 year old could play with 2021 and someone would find a reason why that is acceptable.

You might be pushing it with a 16 year old at 2021. I think we should go after any model that has a kid 18 months older then the youngest kid who is on age. If anyone has ever taken a picture of their kid on the first day of 6th grade and the last day of 8th grade should know that 18 month during this time frame is just nuts. Would you want your 6th grade son playing his 8th grade self in theory? This only makes sense to people with kids 8th grade and older. But this is the first battle we must fight, it must be no worse then 13 months of a age gap for middle school kids. No questions asked. The anger comes from people seeing 3 to 10 kids per team being 18 months older then the youngest kid on age for the grade. As an example this is why they have Freshman football teams. They are as a whole so much smaller in mind and body compared to the sophomores through seniors. I agree playing the bigger and older kids makes the younger ones better, but its still not fair. So it comes down to are youth sports fair or are they like real life and not fair? [/quote]

Agree 100% with the age recommendation along with grade. Winning and losing is a good lesson in life and there will always be those who cheat but this is a safety issue especially in middle school where the size discrepancy exists. Have seen too many injuries when the older kids play younger kids.