Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, they were. If they weren't, their team would have been disqualified.

The kids on that team are all going to be in the class of 2019 this fall (or younger). They didn't break any rules. Get over it.

I live in Maryland and have three boys that have all played rec ball, then travel ball and then onto High School and College. They have several friends that have been held back. If my kids had attended private school, I might have been tempted to hold them back. They attended public school and therefore we did not. I am not arguing the theory or practice of holding kids back. The Crabs may not have broken any rules at Beach Lax, but what they did was wrong. The kids tryout or are selected in late summer for the fall,spring and summer seasons. The boys that are on the 2019 team should have stayed with the 2019 team until new teams are established. If they finished the summer with their spring team and then were added to the 2020 roster in the, people would still complain(and it is their right to do so just like it is your right to hold your kid back), but I don't think you would have the uproar that you have. They didn't violate the letter of the rule, but they sure as [lacrosse] violated the spirit of it and what they did at a Youth Summer Lacrosse Tournament was simply in the spirit of the game wrong. I think to simply dismiss it, without putting yourself in the other person's shoes is also wrong. The argument's about this kid being younger and that kid being in this grade or that grade don't hold weight. They were 2019's in May and should be 2019's until the end of the summer season.

Agreed. The kids that tried out and were chosen for the 2020 team should be the players on the field until new 2020 try outs are held . Crabs hurt their own name by hurting the kids that they benched so older kids not on their 2014-2015 team can take their spots. May not have been illegal but sure says something about how the Crabs coach feels about honor, and his players that HE chose for this years team. Wake up parents- don't let your kids be treated like that. Look at their championship picture- do your kids look happy ? NOT the ones that didn't play!!! Terrible coaching decision based on coaches ego , business and not on the spirit of lacrosse and for the spirits of your CURRENT 2020 roster.

I really hope insurance companies slap an age limit to their policies, something which is being pushed right now as they don't want to be paying out huge fines because certain coaches play older kids with younger kids. I wonder what happens to the reclassified kids? They lost their spot on their old teams, can't play with younger kids anymore and their skills probably didn't improve as much as they could have playing with their own peers. The day might not be soon , but sure enough this will happen. Just like the clubs being in it for money- the insurance companies are in it for the money. There will be a day that these clubs will find kids stuck on limbo.

Good luck to the kids that lose their roster spot to older kids playing down. May you outshine those kids with honor, grace and integrity. It will all even out in a year or two when puberty levels things out, if not the insurance companies before then!