Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes, they were. If they weren't, their team would have been disqualified.

The kids on that team are all going to be in the class of 2019 this fall (or younger). They didn't break any rules. Get over it.

I live in Maryland and have three boys that have all played rec ball, then travel ball and then onto High School and College. They have several friends that have been held back. If my kids had attended private school, I might have been tempted to hold them back. They attended public school and therefore we did not. I am not arguing the theory or practice of holding kids back. The Crabs may not have broken any rules, but what they did was wrong. The kids tryout or are selected in late summer for the fall,spring and summer seasons. The boys that are on the 2019 team should have stayed with the 2019 team until new teams are established. If they finished the summer with their spring team and then were added to the 2020 roster in the, people would still complain(and it is their right to do so just like it is your right to hold your kid back), but I don't think you would have the uproar that you have. They didn't violate the letter of the rule, but they sure as [lacrosse] violated the spirit of it and what they did at a Youth Summer Lacrosse Tournament was simply in the spirit of the game wrong. I think to simply dismiss it, without putting yourself in the other person's shoes is also wrong. The argument's about this kid being younger and that kid being in this grade or that grade don't hold weight. They were 2019's in May and should be 2019's until the end of the summer season.