Maybe the most hysterical thing here is seeing this for what it really is. Crabs is just one club, and as someone noted it is the parents determining the repeat grade strategy. Sure the clubs are enablers and fans of it, but look past that for the moment and consider this. Aren't early recruiters looking for the most polished 8th graders making a TERRIBLE analysis here? I have sons two years apart and it would be hysterical to watch my now mid teen boy out there with kids all of whom are 12-24 months younger. He is big and developed for his age and if he had that advantage it would make him look like LeBron James playing against my accountant 1 on 1. The repeat a grade kids are in that position because they were smaller / weaker than their peer group, so this strategy more than compensates for that when they are in middle school or 9th grade. But it degrades over time. College lacrosse coaches don't factor that in? Sounds good to me. Expect some really attractive college coaching jobs to open up pretty soon at schools like UVa and UNC then. Anyone in disagreement, please go right ahead and point to all those great NCAA tournament runs those two programs have enjoyed lately. I only expect that to continue, and for the puberty gamesmanship to continue to fail harder as these kids age up.