Originally Posted by Anonymous
"There isn't a rule against it, so it isn't cheating..."

Technically, no, ethically, totally. Which is why this gives so many people heartburn.

I think the Crabs just set themselves up for the mother of all smackdowns, on national TV no less.

My post should not be taken as an endorsement of having kids repeat grades in middle school or in 9th grade for sports reasons. The door to knock on for a morality play answer is US Lacrosse. Club owners see reclassifying as a lucrative angle to 1. place kids in college programs and growing the prestige and future subscriptions to their club, 2. command more leverage over families to pay up to attend numerous events, many of which the same club owners also own in a for profit entity that is separate from the non-profit club they also own, 3. place older for grade kids with prep programs who then return the goodwill through friendly rate or free fields for the club to use. This is a two way street...how much do you think Crabs pays to rent BL's fields? I would guess it is an excellent and somewhat charitable deal from BL to Crabs given the excellent long standing relationship the two entities have had.

US Lacrosse published guidelines for all club play to be age based. Very soon after that the NPYLL became the first league to do grade based teams all the way down through elementary grades, and most other leagues and clubs followed. That shows you where the balance of power is in this sport. My only point is there are no rules against this. Well capitalized parents who want something will pay to obtain it, hence the prep school scene and the reclassified strategies.