Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
1-7 isnt an issue for younger graded, but if you are talking about 5th grade and up, the better players will just play club or elsewhere and not return. Have it happening now.

This is what I don't understand, the better players have all year to play elsewhere, PAL is only 8 weeks long. Doesn't anyone have any pride in or allegiance to their community anymore? Why are they allowed to play elsewhere, what are we teaching our kids? When things don't go your way just take your ball and leave and abandon the rest of the kids in your community? That it is ok to cheat and have players from outside the community come in to play just so you can win games? Our kids should be learning sometimes things are tough, but if you stick with it and try hard you will eventually succeed on your own and that is something to be proud of. Sports are also supposed to teach life lessons and none of them should be how to cheat the system just to win a few games. As coaches and parents we should all be above that.

Great points and I agree with everything you said, except for the winning which is back to my original point. I don't understand the emphasis on winning in PAL lax or accusing other coaches for wanting to win. What does it get you? (and I don't mean you, just in general). A team finishes 8-0, 7-1, 6-2....big deal! Does the coach get awarded with a contract extension? Do the players get a trophy? No...it means nothing. These are young kids in PAL lax, not some ESPN Power Ranking league.