Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
I never understood the taking back of a goal and penalizing the defending team makes no sense.

Basketball has the comtinuation after the foul.
Hockey has a delayed penalty
Soccer plays advantage
football throws the flag and then have option of taking play of penalty

Women's lax has advantage as well ... just not with regard to shooting space. You will often see a ref raise their flag and wait for the outcome of the play before calling the foul. You will also see "play on" motioned when the offense has the "advantage". The shooting space call is the only automatic stoppage of play.

The shooting space is the one I was referencing since it is usually the one that results in taking a goal off the scoreboard. Most times the whistle is blown when the ball is already in the cage!

The issue is safety. If they let "continuance" be the rule there is a thought, and a good one, that girls would fire away while the defender is in shooting space. You take the goal away to protect the defender. Is it perfect? No. Are there bigger fish to fry rule-wise? Yes. Lets start with a shot clock!!!

We're referring to the calls that are made during the shot, and whistle blows, and ball is in the goal..why shouldn't those count? I understand when they stop the play before the shot, like you said.

Because in your rules world, the player would be encouraged to take the shot. Unless you are going to put full equipment on the girls, this rule needs to stay in place. There are many other things to change about the game before getting to this one. How about going to a 3-3-3 player formation like the guys game, and open up the field more? How about not releasing on the draw until possession? How about a yellow card for delay of game for repeated fouling in transition? etc.