Originally Posted by Anonymous
There isn't going to be some magic lawsuit that fixes the age issue. The reality is every fall there are middle school football games with 200 lb kids playing against 100 lb kids and everything is insured.

Parents just need to do a little research into what they are signing up for and be realistic. Don't have your son play in a 2020 AA tournament if you don't want him going against a few 6 foot d-poles. Do you think you can go to Young Gunz and not see abnormally large and fast athletes? If your son hasn't gone through puberty you might not want him to play on a 2019 A team even if he was great when he was in sixth grade. There will be boys who are physically mature on that field.

The problem comes from parents not accepting that no matter how much time and money they have put into lacrosse, if your son isn't lightning fast or he didn't mature early he is at a disadvantage in middle school.

Maybe you should just let your son have fun on a less competitive team rather than whine about what other people are doing. The size issue exists regardless of whether it comes from early puberty or from holdbacks.

And no, I don't have a holdback. I do have a 2017 and a 2020 going through puberty at the same time so I have seen both sides of it.

How are parents supposed to do research when people are cheating. Your example of football is different. When kids are playing in a league where it is known that players could be bigger even though they are in the allowable birth year its a risk you take and are fully aware of.

In lacrosse with hold backs and school year cutoff dates there could be an instance where a boy could be 2 plus years older than another. Example: Boy is Born in Nov 1st 2000, parents based on birthdate held him back and(this is fine and legal due to kindergarten cutoff start date is Dec 1st) then he repeats 8th grade(this is questionable)but a parents choice to try and gain an advantage. Now he's playing in 2020 graduation year. Have you seen the difference of some of the boys in 9th grade to 7th. Then a coach cheats and has this kid play a year down. Happens all the time.