Originally Posted by Anonymous
You must not have been to many schools. The campus is beautiful. Is Duke better, yes. But is SJU, Georgetown, Villanova, or Hofstra, to name a few better, No. Where on Long Island is better, with such a large school? And, last I checked, academics mattered for a college. So really we are back to SBU being a great deal. Young school getting bigger and better.

My original comment was in response to "top public universities in the world". It is not. It is a good school with a huge upside. Endowment needs to improved, acceptance rate more selective and graduation rate needs to improve. As previously noted 45% is a very low graduation rate. The SUNY system as a whole has been behind the times but is making strides. Is it California's state system? Not yet.

Is it a great deal? Especially if you want to stay home? Absolutely. Is it a better school than Villanova or Georgetown? No. If you can pay the tuition Villanova and Georgetown is a better school. But tuition is a factor. Also admission is a factor. Stony Brook is an easier admission.

As to alumni involvement let me make a comparison to Middlebury, a small, private liberal arts school. $972 million. I know it's a completely different school but with a much smaller class size it has a much more involved alumni..

I'm not knocking Stony Brook. It just has a way to go before mentioning any world stays.