Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
there are more schools than you think that have about 40% or more transfer out rate

There was a statement that Stony Brook was one of the best public universities in the world. At a 45% four year graduation rate I think that is a bit overstated.

Stony Brook 45%
Penn St 65%
University of Delaware 68%
SUNY Binghamton 69%
Villanova 86%
Middlebury 87%

Who said one of the best in the world? Of course you are now using some private schools as comparisons so if that fictitious statement is what you are trying to refute I would stay with public schools.Graduation rate is a poor statistic to base a schools academic standards on as schools like Stony Brook have a lot of kids who transfer out and in . The reasons vary greatly and a lot of its students are commuters.
Since you asked, post # 10546
SBU is a great deal. The school is one of the top public universities in the world. The in-state tuition is nothing compared to other private or out-of-state schools. The campus is beautiful. The only problem is all the building they are doing. Of course with such a building boom I would not be concerned about SBU closing its doors anytime soon. I do agree the endowment is small, but the school is still relatively young. The Endowment continues to grow each year. As for the alumni, i can't really comment. But that is true of most schools. As SBU grows and the athletic department gets better, my guess is that an alumni presence will not be an issue. Just like any other school that does well. The academics are there. If they get improved sports, to go along with good fine arts, campus life and post graduate activities will only get better.

As an SBU alumni do have to agree school offers some top notch academic opportunities for a great price. Campus however is not appealing especially when you walk down into the pits of the academic dorms and around Roth pond. Glad they are continuing to build and improve. Don't think they will ever get the alumni backing they are looking for, they have been trying for decades and it is a snails pace.

SBU slipped from 89 to 126 in the Center for World University rankings. It is 88th in Nation according to US News. So pretty good. Especially as those rankings include private schools. Great deal at the in state tuition price.

Great. Still has an ugly campus, mostly average D1 sports, very weak school spirit and alumni presence thus contributing to it's relatively small endowment. Just stating the facts as I said from the beginning of this argument.
The on campus resident experience at this school is horrible.