Originally Posted by Anonymous
They are ahead of a lot of big name schools this year. Don't be a hater if your daughter chose to go to a weaker program.

Good education, Good lacrosse

Stony Brook is not a bargain so please stop making it something it's not.
Campus is quite ugly. Alumni presence is terrible. Endowment is minuscule at $180M (colleges with $90M-$100M are closing their doors and are out of business). Athletics are average all around with low school spirit. Academic programs except medicine are average. We can go on and on.

It's an option for some but by no means is a top school.

SBU is a great deal. The school is one of the top public universities in the world. The in-state tuition is nothing compared to other private or out-of-state schools. The campus is beautiful. The only problem is all the building they are doing. Of course with such a building boom I would not be concerned about SBU closing its doors anytime soon. I do agree the endowment is small, but the school is still relatively young. The Endowment continues to grow each year. As for the alumni, i can't really comment. But that is true of most schools. As SBU grows and the athletic department gets better, my guess is that an alumni presence will not be an issue. Just like any other school that does well. The academics are there. If they get improved sports, to go along with good fine arts, campus life and post graduate activities will only get better.

Stony Brook 12, Hofstra -8