Originally Posted by Anonymous
YES I would agree .... hearing TWO 8 th graders looking at going to HILL academy instead of Garden City hs or Chaminade..

Since the conversation brought up the future of LI HS Lax (7th - 9th).

If you have played on the travel circuit you know the reason why any LI town team cant win a travel summer game at the highest level. Whether it be (some of the bigger youth programs) Massapequa, Garden City, Syosset, CSH, Manhasset, Smithtowns, Ward Melville, SWR, ESM, Bay Shore, West Islip... the list goes on and on...

The biggest obstacle to towns playing travel is the reclass issue. I have been fortunate enough to have candid conversations, with Sweetlax, Laxachusetts, Crabs and Dukes parents. They reclassify to get their child the edge. To me each parent I spoke to had a very good player but on age they might just be okay. Not trying to make this a reclass thing of right or wrong. It is what it is and unless in a private school you will not see it so prevalent. So LI public schools don't stand much of a chance out there. a Diamond in the rough sure. but not like days of yesteryear.

HOWEVER THOSE THAT TRY CHALLENGING THEMSELVES WILL BE MUCH BETTER FOR DOING IT. YOU MAY NOT WIN, BUT IS IT ONLY ABOUT WINNING IN THE SUMMER?.

They reclassify to get an edge......an edge on what?
12.9 equivalent scholarships, that's what!!!
Amazing!!!

[/quote] [/quote]
Some of this isn't about the money but the prestige of the University their children get into. Many of these parents have the money, sure they would like not to spend it, but they see the opportunity that is ahead of their child after college.

Me, I put my child into travel so by the time he was HS ready he wouldn't leave the field. Call it selfish or egocentric but the results proved worthy and at first it was a conversation of where he would go to HS now the conversation shifted to the colleges interested in him.