Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous

I can definitely confirm what the poster said. My daughter is still on the team, so I don't want to say too much. All I will say is we lived up to our end of the bargain and the Coaching staff definitely did not. At the beginning of this year they had 50 young ladies on the team and 12 have quit. Yet they are still recruiting more. There is also an improper relationship with the assistant and one of the players. Everyone on the team knows it and it is disgusting.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but every program is like this. These college coaches are salesman it's their job to sell you and then once your there it's their call and anything goes. When your kid commits to play D1-D3 they own you. It's their job to sell you on the school...these college coaches are all verbally abusive and nothing ever gets done!!

Well someone should stand up and say something about it. Parents are paying too much money to put up with crap like this. [/quote]

Paying has nothing to do with it. You are paying for college, not sports. Please. I remember hearing a HS dad saying he pays school taxes therefore his daughter should be on varsity. A ridiculous argument, I think we would agree, and essentially what you're saying about the college coach.

As for speaking up, do so at your own risk. My family has had the unfortunate experience of a winning coach (not lacrosse) who played headgames with his team, my daughter included. She went out on a limb and scheduled a meeting with him and he benched her for the rest of the season for it while denying one thing had anything to do with the other. And she was not rude, in fact she was so intimidated by him I couldn't believe she actually stood up for herself. This coach had an entire class quit while my daughter was there -- but he won games so it was all good with the athletic department. He told subsequent recruits the quitters had issues, including drug probs. Not true at all. But he has winning seasons.

I have sent several kids to D1 programs and I laugh every time I hear that a coach has told another parent that their kid will start/play/etc. That's just a sales pitch. What do you think they're going to say, "Your kid may or may not play much but I know she'll bring up the team GPA and be a good practice player"? Of course not. The truth is the coach is going to see how it all shakes out once the team is on campus and practicing together. Just this year alone, look at some of the big names from last year's HS scene, some of them are barely getting playing time in college. There are no guarantees about playing spots or time.