Congrats Coach Smith..

Hempstead, NY - Hofstra University Head Women's Lacrosse Coach Shannon Smith has signed a multi-year contract extension, it was announced by Vice President and Director of Athletics Jeffrey A. Hathaway today.

Smith is currently in the midst of her third season at the helm of the Pride program.

"We are thrilled with the work Shannon has done with our women's lacrosse program since taking over three years ago," commented Hathaway. "Shannon's knowledge of the game of lacrosse, her determination to be the absolute best and her dedication to her team's success in the classroom are traits I have watched first-hand since she joined our department. She has made great strides in a short time here at Hofstra and I am excited about what the future holds for our team. It's a great day for our women's lacrosse program and Hofstra University."

"I want to thank Hofstra President Stuart Rabinowitz, Vice President and Director of Athletics Jeff Hathaway and Deputy Director of Athletics Dino Mattessich for their unbelievable support of the Hofstra Women's Lacrosse program and our student-athletes. I am grateful for the confidence and trust they have in me to continue to lead this program and to provide a great academic and athletic experience for our student-athletes at such a prestigious university."

In less than three seasons, Smith has already led Hofstra to 26 wins. During her tenure in Hempstead, Smith has guided the Pride to appearances in the Colonial Athletic Association Championship tournament in both completed seasons and led the Pride to an appearance in the CAA Championship Game in her first season at the helm. In addition, her first season at Hofstra saw her lead the program to a six-win improvement over the previous campaign.

She has coached senior April Iannetta to back-to-back CAA Defensive Player of the Year Awards, as well as Becky Conto to the 2013 CAA Rookie of the Year Award.
In 2014 Hofstra posted eight wins, while finishing 12th in the nation in scoring defense. Kelsey Gregerson ranked fourth in the country in save percentage and eighth in goals against average. In addition to Iannetta's Defensive Player of the Year trophy, five other players received All-CAA accolades and two (Brittain Altomare and Iannetta) were named to the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association all-region team.

In her first season at the helm, Smith led the Pride to 11 wins and the berth in the CAA Championship game. The Pride ranked in the top 20 nationally in scoring defense, ground balls per game and caused turnovers. Iannetta shared the CAA Defensive Player of the Year Award, Conto took home CAA Rookie of the Year accolades and Altomare set a new school record for assists under Smith's tutelage.

Smith, a West Babylon, New [lacrosse], native, received her bachelor of science in liberal arts, with a major in economics and minor in business institutions program, from Northwestern in 2012.