Originally Posted by Anonymous
Over the winter, a couple parents sponsored clinics for the boys that were trying out for the Chaminade JV team. The JV coaches ran the clinics. I understand that the announcement for the first set of clinics was posted on a school bulletin board. I think the announcement for the second session was emailed to a smaller subset of the boys. This was great for the boys who participated, because the coaches got to know them, and they learned the drills that were going to be used in the tryouts. However, some of the boys did not attend because: 1) they played winter sports; 2) they did not find out about the clinics; or 3) they could not afford the clinics (around $300 total, plus "donations" to the coaches). Two questions:

1) Do parents at other schools do something similar?

2) Are there rules for this type of activity?

If I can play devils advocate on this issue - should they not have done this because some kids are playing winter sports or can not afford this? they have to collect money because the indoor facility costs money and if a parent did not organize this it would not have gotten done. It is not perfect but bending over backwards to be fair is really catering to the weakest links not the strongest.