Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think it comes down to what you feel is fair. If you think a 24 months gap is fair for a divsion of play or do you think it should be 12 month of a gap in age is a fair divsion? I know it ok when a team of mostly 9th and 10th graders plays a team of mostly 12th grades no one has a issue with it. But when we have teams with all 9th graders playing 8th graders we all go nutts. What about 7th graders playing 6th graders. Its all about each persons line and how big there kid is. And that is where it really all falls down to. If there kid is big for his age those parents are fine with it. But if you have a smaller/avg. size kid you want the 12 month window.

No one would care if everybody had to go by same rules. Fine make it two year and everyone gets a shot at being the young one and older one. The problem with Crabs and all the rest of the holdback clubs is that only a select group of players get an advantage. Hold your kid back ..you get that older player advantage the entire time you are playing. Totally wrong at youth level. HS is totally different.
Letting a select group play down at youth level is just plain wrong and the Crabs have been one of the biggest proponents of it.

So, my son is on Crabs and is not a hold back. He has friends and classmates that are hold backs that are on FCA, Breakers and Greene Turtle. Not sure why crabs gets singled out with this. I believe there are 6 kids on his team that went to pre first but the rest are of age for their grade. The oldest of the kids is 8 months older than my son. Not really sure what all the fuss is. I get the problem with Edge. They are intentionally putting kids in an age group a year below the actual grade they are in. Not sure why tournament directors allow this and don't force them to play in the grade they are in as opposed as their post grad year

Which Breakers, Greene Turtle or FCA team has more holdbacks than the corresponding Crabs team? A better question is which Breakers, Greene Turtle or FCA team has more players on their roster born before 9/1 of the appropriate birth year for that team than the corresponding Crabs team?