Originally Posted by Anonymous

The average D1 boy RECEIVING money in college is getting about $15,000. SO you spend $35,000 for an extra year in HS to get $60,000k in college? don't forget that he will be going to a $50k school and you probably have invested 10 years of travel at $3,500 a year which is another $35k so net net you get NO ATHLETIC money in college?

you would be spending the money somewhere if not on lacrosse - a kid that decided to not go to sleep away camp to stay home and play travel lacrosse saves $10,000 - $15,000 a year so the net savings is $6,500 - $11,500 over 10 years that is some real money. My family and I have loved the summer lacrosse circuit and would do it again over a couple of trips to Disney, Europe or cruises that would all have cost us the same as a year of travel. I doubt anybody has said " we are not going to play travel lacrosse" and then put that money in the college fund.

Most people chasing the dream are doing it for admissions to a college that they might not be able to get into without the support of the lacrosse coach and probably could not have gotten into even if all the money was spent on tutors. I would bet that the additional earnings over the lifetime of the kid that gets into an Ivy league over a very good school would more then make up for the cost spent on summer travel if it was lacrosse that put them over the top to be admitted. Any parent that would not do anything (including reclassifying) to help their kid get into a better school is crazy. IMHO