Originally Posted by Anonymous
very detailed article about the UMBC women's program -

http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/um...ening-kill-freshmen-teammates/2015/03/14

The death threats may have been "text talk" but it sounds like the upper class man were intentionally trying to hurt the freshman in practice

this is an abc afternoon special.

Noone these days can just say let it go. How dumb can they be? I hop ethis is a lesson for all kids. Social media is a [lacrosse].

Where they meant it or not (not saying one way or the other). You just cant do that any more. You need to be careful with your figure of speech.

Are you implying that the President of UMBC, the AD, Student Affairs staff, and the Coach should just "let it go"? Are you kidding me? Suppose that was your daughter being harassed, bullied, threatened and injured by a teammate. Would, you want them to just "let it go?" It was not a"figure of speech". These were blatant threats. Do you think that gang of girls in McDonald's in NY this week that attacked a complete stranger were just kidding? Unfortunately nowadays there are no boundaries and people often act on what, in the past, may have been innocent talk.

YOU my friend is what is wrong with society today.
These were words typed in a group text format. No one was injured and no one murdered anyone. As a former college athlete I wanted to beat the crap out of team mates and coaches all the time. As did they. We talked about it when we were pissed off. We constantly told our competitors we were going to rip off their heads or break their arms. It happens all the time in sports and there is nothing wrong with it.
SHOULD WE ALL JOIN YOUR PEANUT ALERGY CLUB AND CANCEL ALL SPORTS AND HANG ALL THE COACHES AND ADs??!
This is all ridiculous. The players should have been spoken to by the coach and AD and that's it!!!!!
It's the NPR listening global warming freaks that cause all this hysteria. Bet you all never played a day of sports in your life either. Your all a bunch of inhaler sucking hypochondriacs that need to shut up.

I would tend to agree except at the point that they said in the group texts that they had in fact intentionally tried to hurt their teammates in practice - their words not mine and if that is the case they have a real problem. One of the articles said that the coaches broke them into two groups so they could not participate in contact drills against each other. I have never heard of such a thing in my life. They also issued an apology that never denied that they did all of this.