US Lacrosse has received added clarifications and corrections to the rules for high school boys’ lacrosse in 2012 from the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). The NFHS is the rules-writing body for high school boys’ lacrosse.

From the NFHS:

There are conflicting rulings in the NFHS Boys Lacrosse Rules Book with regard to the revision to rule 4-11-3, Not Offside. In the memo dated February 14, 2012, the following corrections and clarifications were made:

Due to this year’s 4-11 rule revision, “Not Offside,” the ruling for 4.10 Situation I on page 36 of the 2012 Boys Lacrosse Rules Book is incorrect. That situation and ruling should read as follows:

4.10 SITUATION I: Team A delays their substitution which causes them to have too few players on either end of the field. RULING: Illegal procedure if Team A gains an advantage by the delayed substitution. Ball is awarded at the spot of the foul (or laterally outside the goal area).

Upon recognizing a delayed substitution situation, the official should employ a “silent play-on” mechanic.

Note: The following situation was added subsequent to the publication of the 2012 Boys Lacrosse Rules Book and was distributed via memorandum dated February 14, 2012:

4.11 SITUATION: During a special substitution, A1 delays his entrance onto the field. The trailing official sees the delay. RULING: Silent play-on. The official will raise an arm. If A1 gains an advantage by the delayed substitution, call illegal procedure on A1. If no advantage is gained, drop the arm and play continues.

Since that time, an additional situation and ruling has been identified that is in conflict with the two situations above. On page 45, Rule 4-24, Special Substitution, 4.24.2 SITUATION A reads as follows:

4.24.2 SITUATION A: During a special substitution (during play), player A1 exits the field and A2 delays his entry onto the field. Ruling: Illegal procedure on A2. If it was deliberate, this could be an unsportsmanlike conduct one-minute releasable penalty.

The two situations previously distributed (4.10 Situation I and 4.11 Situation) correctly and adequately explain the interpretation of this rule. Thus, 4.24.2 Situation A is incorrect and must be considered deleted from the 2012 NFHS Boys Lacrosse Rules Book.

Questions about rules may be directed to mensdivision@uslacrosse.org