Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think Canadian families just want their kids to have an opportunity to go to college in the US. It is a country where less than 1/5th of adults have a college education and Canada has only three cities which could reasonably be classified as white collar higher income job markets. For the most part Canada is still an agrarian economy and families what better. I do concur with the moderator and other posters that the cheap vehicle into US colleges to play kids down is the opposite of every Canadian "farm tough" well and hard earned stereotype I knew of growing up. Anyone think Gordie Howe, Bobby Clark or Mark Messier would have played down to compete? They'd play up and punch you in the face before the face-off just to let you know they were coming and wouldn't quit. Now, we've all moved on from punching being ok in sports, but really what Canadians now do in lacrosse is about as bold as starting a men's figure skating program to pull hockey players away in the fields of Manitoba.

And thanks for the comments directed at Maryland or other US area parents. As a parent of three proper school year aged kids and a proponent of age based club teams, I applaud the bashing of our peer group around here. It is abysmal that the American way in lacrosse is playing down to avoid the confrontation of real and fair sports competition at all costs. It is something we all need to fix.

Does 28% equal less than 1/5 in the United States? 31.96% of Americans have university degrees, so not exactly some great divide. Overall, Canada is more educated with over half the adult population holding tertiary education, only 41.89% in the US. Canada has roughly the same population as California (slightly lower by 3 or 4 million), yet California has almost double the amount of universities. So, California is either incredibly smart or.... it's super easy to get into any university outside the top 20%. I feel safe leaning to the latter and in believing that the incredibly attainable standards of UC-Merced(89% acceptance) and such, help explain the 3.96% difference in degree holders.

I get that you want to make disparaging comments about Canada because you are upset at Edge, but think first. Like granted, you are correct that Canada only has few "white-collared" cities. Too bad you didn't consider the fact that are far less people. California only has a few "white-collared" cities too, so seems about right doesn't it?

As for getting punched in the face, bring your child up to Canada for some box. It's all age-certified so you LI types should feel safe. Munro's kid has done it for years and he's a coward, low life, holdback, right? If your kid actually has the stones to do it, you'll find what you described, no kids playing down and the best kids playing up. Make Crabs and Dukes follow some rules and I'm sure Edge will too.