Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm coaching a 2019 team this summer and we as a program have already discussed how to handle any games we have this summer against Edge Lacrosse or any other team playing down. We will go on the attack. We have two poles are large, strong and extremely physical and unfortunately we have to protect some of our smaller players. We will unleash our beasts and instruct them to intimidate, be overly physical and slide early and finish with every once of nastiness you've got. We will change our slide package and early in games we will look to scare the heck out of these older kids. Sound like hockey? Its the only thing I could think of because a few of our attackmen are on the small side and I don't want to see our guys get brutalized by older thugs. Hit first and hard.

Did a coach in a youth sport really write this? Hitting is the least interesting or exciting part of lacrosse, and in my opinion stick checks and well placed body contact is a part of the game...but seeking out to lay a hard line on an opponent with physicality and trying to make a point to hit first and hit hard (or coach that up) has no place in this sport. All of these kids are a concussion away from losing a place on the field in a game they enjoy. This sport lacks a lot of things that make it a clean and sportsmanlike game we all would like to see, but reading this post is a reminder that we have a long ways to go. Just shameless and sad.

What choice do I have, but to be physical early against an older team? I'm not saying I'm going to instruct anyone to hurt another player or cheap it up. We need to set the tone early and then play our game. Have you looked at the photos posted on the thread of the 2019 Edge team? You are worried about their safety?

I've seen the pics, I evn went on the kids Facebook. But I would never say I would turn thuggish. You say what choice do you have, you say you would go out and scare them, hit them hard and often. That to me sounds like cheap play. Those who can't keep up get frustrated and play thuggish.

I say control the game, spin the ball and keep the ball moving. Take smart shots and ride if there is a turnover. Play hard but clean. As in all games assists and ground balls are winners.

It was more a statement about attitude, not thuggery. Get down off your soap box. Yes, hit them hard- don't be afraid to slide stick on stick body on body. If you play scared, the older bigger team will walk all over you. We would look to slow the game down and yes keep the ball moving on the offensive end.