Originally Posted by Anonymous
How does one get an offer to an ivy league school? Love to hear this answer.

And therein lies the rub. This post may as well have come from a UPenn admissions director. I believe the coaches at Ivy schools are given a per diem number of slots for kids to sponsor through the admission process. That does not mean that the kid will be admitted, but means a preference will be given. Literally translated, if the kid has the highest grade and scores rankings it is no problem. If the kid sprinkles Bs in transcripts and has only above average but not exceptional scores, and worse has no extracurricular activity aside from being a lacrosse player the admissions offices can deny admission. It has happened already in the 2015 HS class that some Ivy verbals from their soph year of HS were denied and have shuffled to commit elsewhere. Now that Ivy coaches are making verbal arrangements with 9th graders you can expect that trend to extend and to increase. It is really irresponsible to tell a 9th grader with no academic credentials or scores he is headed to an Ivy or a Hopkins or the like. I am guessing the Ivy League will curb this sooner than the NCAA will. It does not seem possible to me that admissions directors are anything but negative on such verbal commitments being made to kids so young before they exhibit they are qualified.