Originally Posted by Anonymous
7th grader really, are you stupid.

He's not stupid, just biased. It's his 9th grader and rising 6th grader he has in mind after all.

The lax world has gone looney tunes. This generation of high school and youth laxers will have a high price to pay for all of the rush-to-commit mindset that has developed around the game.

Show me a 10th grader that knows where he wants to go to college (i.e. the right/best school for the Profession he chooses), and I will show you a liar.

Okay, maybe the rare kid (holdbacks?), who has academics locked down and has matured ahead of his time is ready to commit to a college in 10th grade.

8th & 9th grade commits? Rubbish.

Rubbish? Liar? Says the angry dad of a kid that has no chance of an early verbal

Angry? No, just realistic. By the way, we'll pass on the early verbal (8th/9th/10th) if/when it comes. Entering 11th grade, probably more realistic our kids will have a solid idea of what they would like to do in life and what their major focus should be. If they don't know that, how could they possibly know what college is the best fit?

It's not about lax, it's about education. None of these kids will play in high school or college if they don't make the grades. So why rush the process?

If a kid is "all that", and a standout talent, the offers will stay on the table. And if he is borderline, or middle of the pack (which is more likely for most kids), then he is better served by taking the time to learn what he wants and finding the best college to fit those goals.

D1 benches are full of early commits, and so are the transfer wires.

Perhaps "liar" was too harsh, misguided might be better suited. Still adds up to rubbish.

I call "Rubbish" to your post!! You are not realistic, you are angry and jealous. If Duke, JH, ND, UPenn, Harvard were ringing your phone you wouldn't pick up? You would have your child pass on an early verbal commitment to one of the most prestigious schools in the country? Many of these young commits had 5, 6, 7 of these schools calling at the same time because they are that good. I think you are misguided and would be a terrible parent not to give your child that chance. You are narcissistic to believe that you, anonymous Back of the Cage Poster, are more intelligent or better equipped to how to handle that situation. You truly believe 11th grade (16/17) is the "Magic year" to KNOW what they would like to do or focus on? That is ridiculous!! Every child is different. Many of these families, in this situation, have put many hours traveling, visiting schools, speaking with their children, teachers, school counselors, coaches, worrying, deliberating. It was a huge decision and not taken lightly. You actually think you know better?

D1 benches are full of early commits, late commits and walk ons. Transfers happen all of the time, for many reasons.

No one (I know) is "misguided" during this process. The situation was presented and these families did their best to do right by their children and now it is up to their children to do their best to meet their end of the verbal commitment.

Good luck to all of them and "rubbish" to your "we'll pass on the early verbal"