Originally Posted by Anonymous
The best 17, 18 year olds would blow up any 9th grader, regardless of skill assuming the 9th grader is aged to his grade (14 turning 15 sometime in the calendar year after Jan 1st of 9th grade) the physical development in those years is enormous and it really shows up when there are rare events when a 15 year old gets on the field with 17, 18 year olds...some UA tryouts, the USA U-19 tryouts, etc. I'd say unless you are a goalie or a lightening quick FOGO, the physicality of every other position just smokes the young ones out. A 9th grader making an impact on a varsity team is explained mostly by those teams / leagues being weak. On LI there have been so few like Nicky Galasso, and I don't see any 8th or 9th grader that was freakishly advanced as he was in the recent year or two.

What are all of you talking about, we are talking about LI Lax. Where in Div 1 you have brentwood Longwood Copiague Flyod Pat Med Bayshore lindy. I am not talking the best, the best 17 18 year olds lax players don't play there. Sr's at those schools may not be better than their underclassmen. Is that so incomprehensible. Get a grip, in some towns like 'Pequa it may not happen but even the S'towns who draw a large pool you saw underclassmen have pivotal roles. HHH will also be a contender coming up because of those underclassmen they have.

Stop making that all teams have great players that is not the reality. Some of these teams do need to be augmented by the younger players. be it Fresh Soph. I do think come playoff time you will see a few MS's get some time in a blow out.

I think all of you paranoid Jr and Sr's have it all reversed. The reality isnt because the are committed they are playing HS over another student. They are committed in college because they are good and have already proven it. In many cases in an environment much tougher than your HS team circle. Embrace it you may be surprised how they can help your son.

BTW I will agree a child may not have a clue what they want or where they should go but why not take the opportunity given especially at a strong academic institution. Many of these schools these kids are committing to are great schools or destination schools that are cant misses. Only time will tell if it was a hit whether 14 or 17.