Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Marcus Wertheim from Smithtown East High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #8 ranked senior on Long Island and from Smithtown East High School, Marcus Wertheim for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Wertheim, has proven himself playing as one of the top Midfielders no only on Long Island but the entire country and the Bull now has chosen to play and earn a great education from Brown University. Let's see what he has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Marcus Wertheim

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Rob?  
Marcus Wertheim: Next play

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
MW: It gives a lot of extra motivation to keep going and to keep playing our game. If mistakes are made we don’t dwell on it, we look forward to making the next play.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
MW: Every time I get to play I see it as a privilege and play like it could be my last game. But I do think this season is very special and I will continue to play my hardest every time touch the field.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Brown University and what other colleges were you considering?
MW: Getting a great education was always my number one goal. The Brown coaches made it known that it was important for me to go to their school reaching out on September first and continuing to keep in touch throughout the recruiting process. Once I got a chance to step foot on campus I knew that Brown offered a great location, highest academics in the lan, and the opportunity to compete at the highest level in the sport I love. While there were an abundance of schools who showed interest Brown checked all the boxes for me. Other schools I was considering were the Naval academy, Yale, Princeton, and Johns Hopkins.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
MW: I am not very superstitious but I like to eat a healthy meal before I play which has to have protein carbs and vegetables. Before I play I like to warm up on the bike, stretch an hour before game time and foam roll. Then, get a good warm up with the team and work on my moves before the game begins.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
MW: Kanye, Drake, 21 Savage, Motley Crue, and Nirvana. Mostly hip hop and rock.

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
MW: I enjoy golfing, playing video games, cooking and hanging out with friends.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? Ribeye steak &Dr. Pepper
  • Favorite Color? Red
  • Favorite Movie? Nobody
  • Favorite Sports Team? The New York Yankees
  • Favorite Athlete? Justin Jefferson
  • Favorite Season? Summer

See some of Marcus's career athletic accomplishments: All Division, All County, All American Honorable Mention, Team MVP, Booster Club MVP, 2021 Suffolk county top 10 points scorer.

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series