Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Ava Sumwalt from Riverhead High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #36 ranked senior on Long Island and from Riverhead High School, Ava Sumwalt for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Ava Sumwalt, has proven herself playing as an Midfield in Riverhead HS and now has chosen to serve Pittsburgh. Let's see what she has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Ava Sumwalt

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Varsity Head Coach Rella?  
Ava Sumwalt: Once a Blue Wave always a Blue Wave

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
AS: It has forced us to work hard every time we step on the field. And to treasure and play hard every moment we are together on and off the field.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
AS: I have treasured every moment of this season since it is the last time I am playing with my best friends who I’ve have played lacrosse with since 2nd grade.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Pittsburgh and what other colleges were you considering?
AS: I love everything the University of Pittsburgh has to offer, the coaching staff, the quality of education, and the amazing city. The other schools I was looking at were Lehigh, High Point, and William and Mary.

BOTC:What are your plans after graduation? Could be related or not with lacrosse.
AS: My plans are to go into the medical field to become a Physical Therapist or Physician Assistant.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
AS: I always wear a Lululemon headband.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
AS: Trophies by Young Money

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
AS: Going to the beach, surfing, and running

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? Fish tacos and Lemonade
  • Favorite Color? Blue
  • Favorite Movie? The Blind Side
  • Favorite Sports Team? NY Giants
  • Favorite Athlete? Tom Brady
  • Favorite Season? Summer

See some of Ava's career athletic accomplishments: 4 Year Varsity Starter – 2x Team Captain – Scholar Athlete o All County Junior Year, 2021&2022Top100LongIslandLacrossePlayers, LI Back of the Cage Top 50, Broke the single season scoring record for Riverhead.

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series