Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Alexa Nuzzi from Sachem High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #48 ranked senior on Long Island and from Sachem High School, Alexa Nuzzi for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Alexa Nuzzi, has proven herself playing as an Midfield in Sachem HS and now has chosen to serve LIU. Let's see what she has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Alexa Nuzzi

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Varsity Head Coach?  
Alexa Nuzzi: My favorite saying from my varsity Coach would be to have the “we get to” mentality on and off the field. My Coach would say how we get the opportunity to get on the field and work hard to achieve our goals. Having a “we get to” mentality is a huge inspiration to my Coach and my team because of our closeness with the Dezy Strong foundation and their message.

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
AN: “We get to” really motivates my team and myself personally because it really puts into perspective how lucky we are to have the opportunity to play the sport that we love and to be the best versions of ourselves that we possibly can be. My team references this quote constantly as a reminder to not take anything for granted and to leave everything that we have out on the field.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
AN: Representing my school out on the lacrosse field has always been something that I hold very close to my heart but with this season being my last season playing for Sachem it means everything. I try my best to cherish every moment playing for Sachem North because I know that these will be my final memories playing for my high school team and that this is the end of many years spent wearing a Sachem jersey.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend LIU and what other colleges were you considering?
AN: There are many reasons why I chose to continue my academic and athletic career at LIU. Right away I could see how close the team is and how they treat each other like family. There were other programs and schools that I considered throughout the recruitment process but LIU was the school that I wanted to go to all along so when the Coaches reached out and I got to visit campus I knew that LIU was where I belonged. The Coaches are amazing and I am so grateful that they have given me this opportunity to represent Long Island University as a member of the women’s lacrosse program.

BOTC:What are your plans after graduation? Could be related or not with lacrosse.
AN: After I graduate high school, over the summer I plan on training and preparing myself for my freshman season at LIU. I also plan on helping out my travel team Lax On Elite with their summer camp and other events.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
AN: I would say I’m pretty superstitious. The night before every game or tournament I always take a few minutes to myself to stretch and focus on two or three specific goals that I want to achieve while playing.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
AN: Anything Lil Baby or Kendrick Lamar

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
AN: Aside from lacrosse, other hobbies of mine would include playing/listening to music and going to the beach. I grew up playing the sax and the piano so music has always been a big part of my life.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? Pasta and Lemonaide
  • Favorite Color? Yellow
  • Favorite Movie? Step Brothers
  • Favorite Sports Team? The New York Islanders
  • Favorite Athlete? Mathew Barzal
  • Favorite Season? Summer

See some of Alexa's career athletic accomplishments: 2019-2020 Scholar-Athlete School of Distinction and Excellence Award, Rookie of the year, Dezy Strong Sportsmanship Award, Coaches Award, scholar athlete, Back of the Cage top 50 juniors.

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series