Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Emily Iacobelis from South Side High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #19 ranked senior on Long Island and from South Side High School, Emily Iacobelis for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Emily Iacobelis, has proven herself playing as an Attackwoman, Midfielder in South Side HS and now has chosen to serve Cornell University. Let's see what she has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Emily Iacobelis

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Rob?  
Emily Iacobelis: My favorite saying from Coach Devlin would have to be “give it all you got nothing less, nothing more”. He says this before we step out onto the field every game.

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
EI: Personally speaking this saying motivates me to leave it all out on the field and to give my teammates everything I am capable of. For my teammates it encourages us all to play hard and focus on the little things.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
EI: This season means everything to me as it will be the last time I wear South Side on my jersey. As well as the last time I play with my best friends who I have competed with since I was little. I intend on playing my heart out every single time I get on the field.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Cornell University and what other colleges were you considering?
EI: As soon as I stepped on campus I knew Cornell was the school I wanted to go to. I also love the coaching staff and players! I knew Cornell was the best fit for me both academically and athletically.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
EI: My pre-game rituals include listening to the same playlist on full volume on the bus before each game and also wearing eyeblack.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
EI: My playlist before games include; Wonderwall, Mr. Brightside, Heat Waves, and Can’t Hold Us.

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
EI: I love running cross country, playing basketball and soccer.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? My Nonna’s lasagna & iced tea
  • Favorite Color?
  • Favorite Movie? Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
  • Favorite Sports Team? Yankees
  • Favorite Athlete? Charlotte North
  • Favorite Season? Spring

See some of Emily's career athletic accomplishments: JV Soccer player named captain Cross Country runner (county championship 2021); JV Basketball player: MVP, named captain, All Conference Award; Varsity Lacrosse player: named captain, Rookie of the Year Award, Heart and Hustle Award, 2x All Conference Award, Newsday Top 100 lacrosse player on LI, 2021: Under Armour Long Island Team, Under Armour underclass champions, 2022 Lilj All Long Island Team.

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series