Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Ella Cabrera from Northport High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #3 ranked senior on Long Island and from Northport High School, Ella Cabrera for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Ella Cabrera, has proven herself playing as a Midfielder in Northport HS and now has chosen to serve University of North Carolina. Let's see what he has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Ella Cabrera

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Rose?  
Ella Cabrera: My favorite thing that Coach Rose tells the team is, “Play for something bigger than yourself.” Coach Rose wants us to play for not our own names but to play for one another and play to represent the community. I always try to follow this saying because it truly motivates me to work hard for my teammates.

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
EC: Throughout this season, I will try my best to push myself and push my teammates to become better versions of ourselves. Senior season is really special and important and I hope that my team and I can reach the goals that we have been working hard towards.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
EC: This year I will try to treasure my senior season at Northport. Knowing that it is my last year as a Northport Tiger, I am willing to do whatever it takes to help my team get to states. I will not take this year for granted.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend University of North Carolina and what other colleges were you considering?
EC: I chose to go to University of North Carolina because of its amazing academics and athletics. The second I got on campus I knew it was where I wanted to be. The coaches were so welcoming and did everything they could to make me feel comfortable. I am so excited to spend the next 4 years in Chapel Hill. Throughout the recruiting process I was looking at Virginia, Florida, Duke, Syracuse, and Yale. I feel extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to be considered by these great schools.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
EC: I am not that superstitious before a game, however, I like to do the same exact stretching routine before playing and I make sure to cheer on the names of the people on the field in the same exact order before the draw.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
EC: Northport lacrosse has a new playlist every year that we always listen to on the bus or before home games. We always make sure to listen to some songs by Drake and we also look forward to playing fun throw back songs to get us prepared for our opponents.

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
EC: Some hobbies I enjoy doing are baking and hiking. I love to try new food and I find it super cool to make things for my family and friends. Hiking is another good way of working out and I like to bring my dog along with me since it helps me relax.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? Buffalo chicken fingers and Dr. Pepper.
  • Favorite Color? Red.
  • Favorite Movie? A Star is Born.
  • Favorite Sports Team? Jets.
  • Favorite Athlete? Venus or Serena Williams.
  • Favorite Season? Summer.

See some of Ella's career athletic accomplishments: 2021: Under Armour All America Long Island Highlight team, 2021 Under Armour All America Long Island Highlight Team, 2020 Under Armour All America Long Island Command Team, 2019 Under Armour All America Long Island Command Team, 2018 Academic All- American, 2021 Honorable Mention All American, 2021 New York State Class A Champion, 2019 Suffolk County Class A Champion 2021, 2019 Long Island Champion 2021, 2019 Suffolk County All-County, 2021 Suffolk County All- League, 2020 Suffolk County All- Division, 2019 Suffolk County Unsung Hero, 2018 Suffolk County Rookie of the Year, 2017 Northport High School Midfielder of the Year 2019, U-13 and U-14 National Champion (Yellow Jackets) Numerous Club Championships.

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series