Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Kaylie Mackiewicz from Northport High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #2 ranked senior on Long Island and from Northport High School, Kaylie Mackiewicz for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Kaylie Mackiewicz, has proven herself playing as an Attackwoman in Northport HS and now has chosen to serve Duke University. Let's see what he has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Kaylie Mackiewicz

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Carol?  
Kaylie Mackiewicz: Never give up, play to the last whistle.

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
KM: I love playing with my teammates, we all get so pumped up at practice, we all feed of each other.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
KM: Its bittersweet, I have been playing with some of my teammates since third grade they are like family to me, it will be so different stepping onto the field in college with out them, I truly will cherish every minute we spend on the field together this upcoming year.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Duke University and what other colleges were you considering?
KM: I always wanted Duke, its reputation of athletics and academics is second to none! I was fortunate to have a choice between some great colleges but at the end of the day I followed my heart and picked Duke. I was also considering UVA and Yale.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
KM: I always have the same pregame meal.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
KM: Drake.

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
KM: I like baking and cooking.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? Penne ala Vodka and Coke.
  • Favorite Color? Pink.
  • Favorite Movie? Stepbrothers.
  • Favorite Sports Team? Islanders.
  • Favorite Athlete? Wayne Gretzky.
  • Favorite Season? Summer I love the warm weather and being outside.

See some of Kaylie's career athletic accomplishments: 2021: All American (Junior), Academic All American (Junior), Newsday’s All Long Island girls lacrosse team (Junior), All Long Island girls games 1st team (Junior), Ranked #2 Long Island Junior (Junior), Suffolk County All County Award (Junior), Suffolk County All Tournament Award (Junior), Team MVP Attack (Junior), Epoch Player of the Game (Junior); 2020: US LAX Magazine top 25 High School Girls (Sophomore), LI Lax Journal Top 100 players (Sophomore), Lacrosse Magazine Watch List 2022 Girls (Sophomore), Newsday’s Top 100 players (Sophomore), WPLL Futures Program (Sophomore); 2019: U-15 USA Select Team (Freshman), WPLL Futures Program (Freshman), Suffolk County Rookie of the Year (Freshman), Under Armour All American Underclass Team (Freshman), New York State Class A Champions (Freshman), New York State Class A All Tournament Team (Freshman), Suffolk County D1 Rookie Of The Year (Freshman), Lacrosse Magazine 2022 All American Girls (Freshman), Lacrosse Magazine Watch List 2022 Girls (Freshman), String King Player of the Game (Freshman), Epoch Player of the Game (Freshman), Duke winter camp all star team selection (Freshman); 2018: Duke summer camp all star team selection, Maximum exposure all star team selection, US Lacrosse U14 National Champions; 2017: US Lacrosse U13 National Champions; Long Island Yellow Jackets 2022 Blue Team, Starter Attack Northport High School Varsity (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior.

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series