Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Morgan Zimmerman from Sachem High School East

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #18 ranked senior on Long Island and from Sachem High School East, Morgan Zimmerman for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Morgan Zimmerman had 31 goals and 18 assists this past season ranking in the top 30 of all of Suffolk County and she had an incredible career playing for Sachem High School East. Zimmerman was a 5 year varsity starter who helped contribute in so many ways playing both attack and midfield. The All County honoree signed to play 4 more years of lacrosse at the University of Colorado. Let's see what the multi-sport athlete and future division one star has to say when we sat down with her during her senior season.

Q&A w/ Morgan ZImmerman

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Morgan Zimmerman(MZ):: When I found out the season was going to be canceled, I was extremely disappointed. All of the time and effort I had put in leading up to the season to become a better athlete felt as if it had gone to waste. To keep my spirits up I continued to put in the work. Every morning I would lift in my home gym and then run and bike a few miles. As well as going to a local field by my house to keep up with my lacrosse skills.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Tina?  
MZ:: There’s a lot of great advice Coach Moon has given me over the years, but I think the saying “you play the way you practice” stuck with me the most.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
MZ:: I think the short period of time our team had together gave us so much more motivation. We went into the season with a chip on our shoulders and given the circumstances I couldn’t be more proud of what we accomplished in such a short period of time. As for me personally I wanted to make this season a statement, someone who is known to be dangerous out on the field and more importantly help put the Sachem program back on top.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
MZ:: For me this will be a season to remember. This group of girls didn’t just make up a team, but a family I will forever be grateful for. We didn’t just go to practice and games then part our separate ways, outside of the lacrosse world we would hangout together almost everyday creating strong bonds. This really helped contribute to our connection on the field.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend University of Colorado, and what other colleges were you considering?
MZ:: To be honest I never really considered attending The University of Colorado at first, but when I went on my official visit there for some reason I knew it was where I wanted to be. It was new and exciting, but at the same time I felt at home. The culture that exists around the Colorado program is like no other. I also considered attending Brown, Oregon and Coastal Carolina.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
MZ:: Some superstitions of mine are wearing the same sports bra, spandex and hairstyle every game. We also have some pregame rituals like handshakes or saying a prayer in our huddle.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
MZ:: My go to songs before a game are Tell The Vision by Pop Smoke, Clouds by NF, Legend by The Score, Lean Back by SUR, Born for Greatness by Papa Roach, and Prime by The Seige. 10/10 recommend adding these songs to your pregame playlist to get extra hyped.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Sushi
  • Favorite Movie? The Da Vinci Code
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York Yankees
  • Favorite Athletes? Simone Biles

See some of Morgan's career athletic accomplishments below: All State Field Hockey, All County Lacrosse and Field Hockey, All County Honorable Mention Lacrosse, All tournament Field Hockey, Rookie of the year Lacrosse and Field Hockey, Scholar Athlete, 2x CB Laxers UnD1sputed Showcase All Star

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Makenna Boutin from Wantagh High School.