Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Erin O'Grady from Saint Anthony's High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #17 ranked senior on Long Island and from Saint Anthony's High School, Erin O'Grady for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Erin O'Grady had 12 saves in a 14-4 victory over Sacred Heart in the CHSAA Class AA final. She also controlled the goal for the Friars’ league title as a sophomore. Now committed to University of Michigan because of an opportunity to play lacrosse at the highest level & she'll be receiving an incredible education from one of the best universities in the country. Let's see what else she'll achieve as a Goalie in her college years.

Q&A w/ Erin O'Grady

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Erin O'Grady(EO):: Last year when I found out the season was going to be cancelled I was crushed. We had an incredibly talented senior class and some really great sophomores and juniors that were new to our team. We had a very competitive and fun schedule planned for the 2020 season and I was excited to play some of the best schools in the country. However, there was nothing I can do to change the season being cancelled so to keep my spirits up I played a lot of wall ball, tried to find any field that was open, and worked out at home with any of the old gym equipment that I had.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Summer?  
EO::My favorite saying from Coach Summer is “be good people”. When you play for a school like Saint Anthony’s you are held to a high standard on and off the field. Coach summer makes an impact on every girl she coaches because she cares about us as people and not just athletes.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
EO:: As many athletes can relate too, this year our team took nothing for granted. Everyone was hungry to get back on the field as a team in the spring which motivated us to work hard day in and day out. Every team has good days and bad days. Thankfully our good outweighed the bad but when our girls needed some extra motivation we would remind everyone of not having a season the year before. My teammates and I were blessed to play the sport we love with our best friends and we didn’t want to waste a minute.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
EO:: I’m blessed every time I get to put on my Saint Anthony’s jersey. Knowing that this season would be the last time I got to play for such an incredible program before college made it even more special. I couldn’t have asked for a better season and group of girls to play my last year of high school lacrosse with.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Brown University, and what other colleges were you considering?
EO:: The second I stepped foot on campus I knew the University of Michigan would be my home for the next four years. Along with the opportunity to play lacrosse at the highest level I will be receiving an incredible education from one of the best universities in the country. The Michigan community is truly like no other and I can’t wait to get there in the fall! I was also considering Stony Brook University, Ohio State University, and Rutgers University.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
EO:: I am an extremely superstitious person. Every game I would have my eyeblack done the same way and would have my hair in a French braid. My Coach, Chrissy would warm me up before every game and I would say part of our pre-game prayer before every game.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
EO:: My pregame playlist is anything EDM or rap!

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Steak and Mashed Potatoes
  • Favorite Movie? The Blindside
  • Favorite Sports Team? Kentucky or Michigan basketball
  • Favorite Athletes? Travis Kelce

See some of Erin's career athletic accomplishments below: USA Lacrosse All American, Jackie Pitts Award Recipient, Newsday All Long Island first team, Newsday top 100 (2020, 2021), Catholic League Player of the Year (‘21), MVP of championship game (‘19, ‘21), Saint Anthony’s Rookie of the Year (‘19)

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Jake Deacy from Comsewogue High School.