Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Brooke Hoss from Sayville High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #13 ranked senior on Long Island and from Sayville High School, Brooke Hoss for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Brooke Hoss was a Midfield woman who has helped to gain 44 goals and four assists for a 12-win Sayville team during her HS years. She never made anything easy for opponents transitioning to the offensive side of the field. And now committing to Penn State University, let's see what else she'll achieve in her college years.

Q&A w/ Brooke Hoss

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Brooke Hoss(BH): When I found out the season was going to be cancelled last year I was very disappointed. When you put countless hours in at the gym and train for something that’s important to you and it gets taken away so abruptly, its tough. The way I kept my spirits up was by hanging out with my teammates who were going through the same thing as me. Being together was the best way for us all to stay positive!

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Adam?  
BH: My favorite saying from Coach Adam is “ We don’t need to change who we are/how we play as a team to beat someone else. We just have be us”.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
BH: Missing last year motivated my team in many ways. Since the passing of our teammate Maddy Mergl, we all really were looking forward to spending many days together that we could play for her. When we realized we wouldn’t be able to not only support each other but not play the season for her t was heart breaking. Now this season being able to play together, we had such an appreciation for the the game and each other. We had someone important to each of us to play for.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
BH: Missing last season really allowed me and my teammates to treasure each and every moment we had together. Coming to practice was the best part of our days and competing with each other was a gift. Since it was my last season of high school and missing my junior year I had such a motivation to compete and give the Sayville program everything I had.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Penn State University, and what other colleges were you considering?
BH:: The reason I chose Penn State was not only for the high level the girl compete at and the great academic possibilities, but the family atmosphere. Tradition and culture are things that are very important to me. The second I met the team I realized how much they genuinely loved each other and their coach. They expressed his it was the best 4 years of their lives and I was instantly drawn to the team. I also wanted to attend a big school where sports were a huge part of the university.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
BH: My senior year superstition was drinking a Celsius and having my hair braided by one of my teammates every game.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
BH: What's on my playlist Is “Power” by Kanye west as well as many different remixes on sound cloud.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Acia Bowls
  • Favorite Movie? The Blind Side
  • Favorite Sports Team? The Giants
  • Favorite Athletes? Tim Tebow

See some of Brooke's career athletic accomplishments below: Newsday All Long Island 2021, High School All American 2021, 3x Under Amour All American, Newsday 2020-2021 top 100, LILJ All Tournament Team 1st Team Attack, All County 2019, FLG Lacrosse Goat Long Island, #7 top 50 girls (Fantastic Top 50), Long Island Suffolk vs Nassau MVP 2016, US Lacrosse magazine All Tournament team.

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Jake Demert from Bay Shore High School.