Senior Spotlight Q&A w/Dani Brady from Smithtown East High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #5 ranked senior on Long Island from Smithtown East High School, Dani Brady for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Dani Brady is a versatile multi-sport athlete considering the number of recognitions she got in the field of hockey and lacrosse. She has chosen the University of Maryland because of a feeling that she knew it would be her future home, aside from her sister playing for them. Let's see what else she can offer as a multi-sport athlete in her college years.

Q&A w/ Dani Brady

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Dani Brady (DB): My initial reaction to the season being cancelled was definitely disappointment. So much preparation and training had gone into the 2020 season, and not being able to play with the senior class whom I’ve grown up playing with was heartbreaking. Leaning on each other and focusing on how we could get better individually during our time apart was one thing we did to keep our spirits up.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Rose?  
DB: My personal favorite saying from Coach Rose would have to be,” Focus on the little things and those will develop into the bigger plays.” She truly focused on the fact that everyone had an individual role on the team.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
DB: After missing last year I personally felt that I needed to prepare as much as possible in order to make up for last year. We felt as if we needed to cherish the time we had together and be appreciative because we knew how unexpected it was when our season was over.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
DB: Playing with your hometown on your chest comes with so much pride. Growing up I always used to go to the turf and watch all the “big girls” play, knowing I would one day become that “big girl” to another young girl. I truly felt so grateful to play this year and everyone appreciated the opportunity to play so much more.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend the University of Maryland, and what other colleges were you considering?
DB:: Upon arriving at Maryland’s campus, I knew right away. There’s a feeling that comes over you that you have no control of, it’s like the “warm and fuzzies” and I knew that would be my future home. I had grown up always taking the trip down because my sister played for them, but had never looked at the campus as if I would be attending until my visit. Hopkins and UVA were the two other schools I had in my top three.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
DB: I am definitely superstitious, my game day hair being one of them. My friend Alayna has to do two braids into a bun for me before every game.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
DB: My game day playlist definitely includes a lot of Kanye West, Drake, and a sprinkle of Chain Smokers

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
[list]
[*]Favorite Food? Buffalo Chicken Pizza
[*]Favorite Movie? Remember the Titans
[*]Favorite Sports Team? NY Rangers
[*]Favorite Athletes? Saquon Barkley

See some of Dani's career athletic accomplishments below: 8th-Rookie of the Year (lacrosse), 9th-Rookie of the Year (field hockey), All-Division (lacrosse), 10th All-County Honorable Mention (field hockey), 11th All-County (field hockey), 12th All-State & All-Tournament (field hockey), All-County (lacrosse), 3 Year Under Armour All American team member, 2020 Under Armour All North Team/

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Forrest Demetri from North Shore High School.