Senior Spotlight Q&A w/Emily Lamparter from Mount Sinai High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #2 ranked senior on Long Island and the 19th Ranked Recruit in the Country from Manhasset High School, Emily Lamparter for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Emily Lamparter is a strong Goalie player since she played for lacrosse. She has chosen the University of Maryland because of the program’s family atmosphere and championship culture, and she committed to them in her 8th Grade. Let's see how well he will perform during his college lacrosse years.

Q&A w/ Emily Lamparter

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Emily Lamparter (EL): When I first found out that our season was going to be canceled last year, I was devastated. It was my junior season and I had never felt more confident in my skills and preparation at that point, so it was a real bummer that I never got to have that hard work pay off. To keep my spirits and skills up, I created a backyard goalie technique routine that I would utilize just about every day, which I think has helped me during my senior season.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Rose?  
EL: My favorite saying from Coach Bertolone is more of a team mantra that we have had over the years at Mount Sinai. “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.” Every player on my team has a different variation on how they interpret the saying, but I have always thought it meant that if you have intense focus, and put your heart and maximum effort into a game, you can’t ever lose.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
EL: Our team has definitely learned that we should never take anything for granted, especially after last year when we lost our entire season. This year we work hard every single practice, more so than ever, because we know how easily it can be taken away. I am very lucky that I have been able to have a senior year and closure lacrosse-wise.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
EL: I definitely will not be taking this opportunity to have a senior season for granted, and I have been working hard to strengthen my skills as a communicator in the cage and strengthen my clearing game before I head to Maryland in the fall.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend the University of Maryland, and what other colleges were you considering?
EL: I chose Maryland because of the program’s family atmosphere and championship culture. I’ve always wanted to compete on one of the top teams in America, and Maryland’s 15 national championships are a big draw. I was in 8th grade when I committed to Maryland, so I had already committed before the September 1st rule, so at that point, I only had a few colleges interested in me, which were UVA, Boston College, and Yale. I was going to wait a year or two before I committed, but I went on my first college visit in 8th grade at Maryland and instantly knew I didn’t want to be anywhere else, so I committed that day.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
EL: I am superstitious when it comes to my warm-up routine before games. I always get shots first, then go through some cone drills and hand-eye coordination drills. I also have to have my hair in two French braids, and it has to be braided by the same teammate every time.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
EL: One thing that’s on my playlist before games is Eye of the Tiger. I don’t particularly enjoy the song at all, but one time it happened to be playing on the radio when my mom was dropping me off at the high school before a game, and I played what I considered to be the best game of my high school career. So since that game, my mom always texts me when I’m on the bus to a game to remind me to listen to it.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Pizza
  • Favorite Movie? Catch me if you can
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York Islanders
  • Favorite Athletes? Mat Barzal

See some of Emily's career athletic accomplishments below: 4x UA all American Long Island team, 2019 All-County, Inside Lacrosse top-ranked goalie in the class of 2021, Inside Lacrosse #19 ranked recruit in the class of 2021, Gold Key Award recipient (cross country, winter track, lacrosse), Newsday top100 players, 2x county champ, 1x Long Island and State champ.

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Jake Wilson from Shoreham Wading River High School.